It is not necessary to register a new domain name for shortening links if you own one that works properly. Create a subdomain using a domain you already have.
Learn the instruction on how to add and configure a Namecheap subdomain to shorten links.
1. Go to the Namecheap account to the list of domains.
2. Click "Manage" next to your domain.
3. Click the "Advanced DNS" tab.
4. Click 'Add new record' and fill in the following data:
Type - CNAME; Host - your subdomain; Value - cname.short.io; TTL - 60 min
Click the marked check icon to save changes.
5. Go to your Short.io account.
6. Open the User menu and choose "Add a domain.
7. Choose the option — Add my own domain
8. Specify a domain and choose the second option. Then choose the subdomain from the list or choose 'Custom subdomain' and type in your value.
9. Go to your domain settings to check if the domain is active. Refresh a domain status in 1-2 hours if the domain is still inactive.
Important: Wait a few hours and refresh a domain status in Short.io domain settings.
10. After the domain is active, feel free to shorten links and enjoy Short.io.