It is not necessary to register a new domain name for shortening links if you own one that works properly. Create a subdomain using a domain you already have.
Learn the instruction on how to add and configure a Namecheap subdomain to shorten links.
1. Go to the Namecheap account to the list of domains.
2. Click "Manage" next to your domain.
3. Click the "Advanced DNS" tab.
4. Add 2 records:
- A record; your subdomain Host; 184.108.40.206 Value.
- A record; your subdomain Host; 220.127.116.11 Value.
5. Go to your Short.io account.
6. Open the User menu and choose "Add a domain.
7. Choose the third option — Add my own domain
8. Specify a domain and confirm that this domain is dedicated only for shortening links.
9. Go to your domain settings to check if the domain is active. Refresh a domain status in 1-2 hours if the domain is still inactive.
Important: Wait a few hours and refresh a domain status in Short.io domain settings.
10. After the domain is active, feel free to shorten links and enjoy Short.io.
The video instruction helps to configure a Namecheap subdomain.