Namecheap is a domain registrar, where you can buy an available domain or subdomain name.
For shortening links in Short.io, you have to add your domain or to use a generic one "smth.shortcm.li." If you don't have a domain, you can acquire it from Short.io or any domain registrar. The advantage of buying a domain from Short.io is that the domain will be active at once.
If you acquire a domain from the registrar, you have to follow some activation steps.
Learn the instruction below on how to add a Namecheap domain to Short.io account.
1. Sign in Namecheap and buy an available domain.
2. Click "Manage" next to your domain.
3. Click the "Advanced DNS" tab.
4. Choose "Add a new record" > Add 2 records:
- A record; @ Host; 188.8.131.52 Value.
- A record; @ Host; 184.108.40.206 Value.
6. If you configure:
- a domain — delete unnecessary CNAME, A and URL Redirect records of the domain;
- a subdomain — learn the Namecheap subdomain setup guide.
7. Go to your Short.io account.
8. Open the User menu and choose "Add a domain.
9. Choose the third option — Add my own domain
10. Specify a domain and confirm that this domain is dedicated only for shortening links.
11. Go to your domain settings to check if the domain is active. Refresh a domain status in 1-2 hours if the domain is still inactive.
Important: Wait a few hours and refresh a domain status in Short.io domain settings.
12. After the domain is active, feel free to shorten links and enjoy Short.io.
Watch the video instruction to configure a Namecheap domain.