Gandi.net is a domain registrar, where you can buy an available domain or subdomain name. Gandi provides many domain names up to 700 extensions.
For shortening links in Short.io, you have to add your domain name or to use a generic one "smth.shortcm.li." If you don't have a domain, you can acquire it from Short.io or any domain registrar. The advantage of buying a domain from Short.io is that the domain will be active at once.
If you acquire a domain from the registrar, you have to follow some activation steps.
Learn the instruction below on how to add a Gandi domain to Short.io account.
1. Sign in Gandi service and buy an available domain.
2. Go to your Gandi account and choose "Domains" from the left.
3. Choose a necessary domain.
4. Click "DNS records."
5. If you configure:
- a domain — delete all unnecessary records of the domain;
- a subdomain — do not delete records of the domain you already own.
6. Click "Add."
7. Add 2 records:
- A record; @ Name; 188.8.131.52 Value.
- A record; @ Name; 184.108.40.206 Value.
8. Here's how records look:
9. Go to your Short.io account.
10. Open the User menu and choose "Add a domain."
11. Choose the third option — Add my own domain
12. Specify a domain and confirm that this domain is dedicated only for shortening links.
13. Go to your domain settings to check if the domain is active. Refresh a domain status in 1-2 hours if the domain is still inactive.
Important: Wait a few hours and refresh a domain status in Short.io domain settings.
14. After the domain is active, feel free to shorten links and enjoy Short.io.
Watch the video instruction to avoid obstacles while configuring a domain.