DreamHost is a platform where you can buy domains and subdomains for the website or short branded links.
For shortening links in Short.io, you have to add your domain name or to use a generic one "smth.shortcm.li." If you don't have a domain, you can acquire it from Short.io or any domain registrar. The advantage of buying a domain from Short.io is that the domain will be active at once.
If you acquire a domain from the registrar, you have to follow some activation steps.
Learn the instruction below on how to add a DreamHost domain to Short.io account.
1. Sign in Dreamhost and buy an available domain.
2. Choose "Domains" > "Manage Domains" from the left side.
3. Choose "DNS" under a necessary domain.
4. Add 2 values:
- A Type; 126.96.36.199 Value.
- A type; 188.8.131.52 Value.
Important: Leave the "Name" box blank (!!!).
5. Here's how records look:
6. Go to your Short.io account.
7. Open the User menu and choose "Add a domain.
8. Choose the third option — Add my own domain
9. Specify a domain and confirm that this domain is dedicated only for shortening links.
10. Go to your domain settings to check if the domain is active. Refresh a domain status in 1-2 hours if the domain is still inactive.
Important: Wait a few hours and refresh a domain status in Short.io domain settings.
13. After the domain is active, feel free to shorten links and enjoy Short.io.
Watch the video instruction to avoid obstacles while configuring a domain.