1&1 is a platform where you can buy domains for both the website and short branded links.
For shortening links on Short.io, you need to add a domain, which isn't used, or to use a generic domain "smth.shortcm.li", or to add a subdomain to the domain you currently use for the website/blog.
If you don't have a domain, you can purchase it from Short.io or any domain registrar. The advantage of buying a domain from Short.io is that the domain will be active at once.
If you buy a domain on a registrar, follow some activation steps. Learn the instruction below on how to add a 1&1 domain to Short.io account.
1. Sign in 1&1 platform and buy an available domain name.
2. Go to 1&1 account and click "Manage domains" next to the necessary domain.
3. Choose "DNS" tab.
4. If you configure:
- a domain — delete all unnecessary records;
- a subdomain — do not delete records of the domain you already own.
5. Click "Add record."
6. Add A-record, @ Host and 184.108.40.206 Value.
8. Go to your Short.io account.
9. Open the User menu and choose "Add a domain.
10. Choose the third option — Add my own domain
11. Specify a domain and confirm that this domain is dedicated only for shortening links.
12. Go to your domain settings to check if the domain is active. Refresh a domain status in 1-2 hours if the domain is still inactive.
Important: Wait a few hours and refresh a domain status in Short.io domain settings.
13. After the domain is active, feel free to shorten links and enjoy Short.io.
Watch a step-by-step video instruction to avoid obstacles while configuring a domain.